Why didn’t Lady Fatima Masumah (PBUH) get married?
It is almost definite that Lady Masumah (sister of Imam Reza (PBUH)) did not get married. Therefore, the question is that the tradition of marriage is one of the most emphasized recommendations in Islam insofar as the Holly Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: In Islam and in the God’s presence, there is no construction as beloved and favored as marriage (1).
He also said: Marriage is my tradition and my plan, so the one who forsakes my tradition, doesn’t belong to me (2). Furthermore, it has been narrated that: in the time of Imam Baqir (PBUH) there was a lady who didn’t get married because of abstinence and acquiring virtues, Imam Baqir (PBUH) told her: if there were any virtue in not getting married, Lady Fatima (PBUH) would deserve more than you not to get married because of acquiring virtues, because no lady has overtaken her in acquiring virtues (3).
Answer: to answer this question, there are two subjects that either of them or both of these answers imply the proper reasons which caused Lady Masumah (PBUH) to forsake marriage:
- The daughters of Imam Musa al-Kadhim (PBUH) especially Lady Masumah (PBUH) were in such levels of attainments that they couldn’t find anybody to be appropriate husbands. Imam Musa Kadhim (PBUH) suggested them to get married by consulting with their brother, Imam Reza’s (PBUH). (4)
Considering the narration of Sibt Ibn al-Jawzi (5), Imam Musa Kadhim (PBUH) had 4 daughters named eldest Fatima, middle Fatima, younger Fatima, youngest Fatima(6). Some people doubted which one of these ladies was Lady Masumah (PBUH), but by the help of evidence and proof of her great status compering to others, it represents that she was the eldest Fatima. (7)
About Lady Fatima (PBUH), Imam Ja’far Al-Sadiq (PBUH) said: if elevated God didn’t create Imam Ali (PBUH) for Lady Fatima (PBUH), there would be no appropriate husband for her in all over the world, even from Adam to anybody after him. (8)
- The fear and terror created by the repressive regime of Harun al-Rashid was in way in which nobody dared to get married with Imam Kadhim’s (PBUH) daughters and become his son-in-law. Because being his son-in-law caused a great danger.
Therefore, Lady Masumah (PBUH) and some of her sisters refused to get married. By the way, this fact should be considered that Imam Kadhim (PBUH) was in prison and as Imam Reza was informed about the future issues (about his father’s martyrdom, his compulsory exile to Khorasan), it was another reason of Lady Masumah (PBUH) to forsake the marriage.
Revengeful persecutors by creating unfavorable conditions, deprived them from life’s endowments and this was another tragedy and suffering of their period toward the family of Prophet Muhammad. (9)
- Vasayel al shiite, vol. 4, page 3
- Vasayel al shiite, vol. 4, page 7
- Vasayel al shiite, vol. 4, page 117
- Usul al kafi, vol 1, page 317
- Tazkirat, page 315
- Bahar-ul-anvar, vol. 48, page 317
- Bahar-ul-anvar, vol. 48, page 110
- Usul al kafi, vol 1, page 261
- Lady Masumah (PBUH) second Fatima , Mohammadi Eshtehardi, page 117,115